Friday, February 18, 2011

Chicago, Illinois: To which of the following high school should I go? Jones, Payton, or Curie IB?


Chicago, Illinois: To which of the following high school should I go? Jones, Payton, or Curie IB?
You see, I am going to be in the 8th Grade next year and will be selecting my high school. I am very concerned with my high school choice and finally came around three choices after researching for two years. 1. Jones College Prep 2. Payton College Prep 3. Curie IB Jones and Payton are both excellent selective enrollment schools, but getting into an IB Program is superior. Jones and Payton both have a small student body, and I like that because I came from J. Ward where there are around 450 students. I know that most of my friends would be at Curie (regular classes). Payton is pretty techy. Also, I want to go to a school where they do not push too hard on the academics. No P.E. (Gym, not Driver's Ed. or Health) is preferred. I have not taken the entrance test yet, so I am not pretty sure if I could get in. The points I know for sure is that I have gotten: 99 in ISAT Math: 150 points 99 in ISAT Reading: 150 An 'A' in all four core sub.s: 75 X 4 = 300 1 day absent and 7 days tardy (awkward...) (I do not know if tardies count.): 98 (w/o tardies)/91 (w/ tardies) Total (without 300 for entrance exam): 698/691 So, where do you think I should go? Also, tell me anything about the schools. Is high school scary? Thank you! By the way, I did not get accepted to /applied for any of the high schools yet. If you have any q's, just ask.
Primary & Secondary Education - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
If you don't want to go to a tough school academically, I hope you like flipping burgers. You're right, IB is superior. However, likely as not even Curie's non-IB students are held to a higher academic standard. Being with friends is nice, but not the way to choose a school. At least for my school IB students weren't required to take PE courses because we wouldn't have room in our schedules for them; you can check the requirements yourself for Curie. If you'd like to make something of yourself in the future, I recommend doing IB, if for no other reason than to learn discipline and time management, which are invaluable skills for college as well as life in general. High school is not nearly as scary nor as exciting as depicted in popular culture, you have nothing to fear. Or look forward to, unless you're the kind of person who genuinely enjoys being at school. And based on your preference for a school "where they do not push too hard on the academics," you're probably not.

Popular Posts